VCE students show your work at SAM!
Featuring a selection of our most talented VCE students from North Central Victoria, FRESH: GV Top Art & Design 2021 includes photography, drawing, painting, sculpture, mixed media, ceramics, film, printmaking and variety of design presentations from industrial, environmental and visual design. Artwork and design presentations will be selected from VCE Units One to Four, for the subjects Studio Arts, Art, and Visual Communication Design, Year 11 and 12 students.
Applications are now open to Year 11 and 12 VCE Studio Arts, Art, and Visual Communication Design students across the Hume region and outlying areas of Greater Shepparton, including these shires: Alphine, Benalla, Campaspe, Greater Shepparton, Indigo, Mansfield, Mitchell, Moira, Murrindindi, Strathbogie, Towong, Wangaratta and Wodonga.
Applications close: Tuesday 8 December 2020 at 4pm.
Free Webinar Recording
We held a free online webinar on 4 November to answer your application questions. You can view the recording here:
The webinar featured Jason Phu, acclaimed artist and one of the judges of the show, along with SAM curators. Watch the recording to gain a few art industry tips, and have your questions answered in regards to entering art shows, completing the application process and presenting/delivering work for FRESH.
Image: Jason Phu in his studio. Image Credit: Docqment Photography. Educational purposes.
FRESH: GV Top Art & Design 2021 launches the SAM SQUARED space and will be a key part of our opening program at the new SAM building.
SAM SQUARED is a new exhibition space that will host a range of exhibitions, programs and events designed to foster, engage and celebrate creativity from our vibrant arts and creative community of North Central Victoria. We are delighted it is our Year 11 and 12 students who will be the first to exhibit work in this wonderful community focused space.
Exemplary resolved artworks and folio/support material will be selected from a range of media, themes and approaches based on their demonstration of the following criteria:
- Strong conceptual development
- Imaginative and individual qualities
- Technical excellence
- An awareness of aesthetic considerations
- An awareness of past and contemporary art practices
Works must also fulfil the following technical requirements:
- Be appropriate for public exhibition
- Fit exhibition constraints, including space and safe weight restrictions
- Be suitable for display purposes in regard to power needs, and stable enough to be shown for the duration of the exhibition. For example, works on paper must be suitable for mounting, framing or pinning
- Have copyright clearance for all non-original material used in screen-based or other works
- Design presentations in the three fields of design (communication, environmental and industrial)
- Artworks including paintings, mixed media, photography, and computer generated, multimedia
- VCD environmental models, industrial prototypes, packaging, and fashion
- Art sculpture, ceramics, glass, textiles, and mixed media
Do you need some more inspiration to apply? Hear from three former students who share how being part of this exhibition took them to where they are today.
Featured image: Former VCE student Abram Rasmussen from Shepparton Christian College was awarded the People’s Choice Award for SAM’s VCE exhibition in 2016. Photo: Amina Barolli.