Each year, SAM EOI will accept proposals during an open callout for artist, curator, creative practitioner or community group led exhibitions via an Expression of Interest (EOI) submission. Artists, curators and community groups with a strong local connection and artistic vision are encouraged to apply. The open callout for
SAM EOI will take place during the advised application period each year.
In 2022 there will be one SAM EOI exhibition period available.
The 2022 SAM EOI exhibition dates are:
21 May – 17 July 2022
Open callout dates
14 December 2021 Applications open
11 February 2022 Applications close
March 2022 Selection panel meets
March 2022 Offer of exhibition made
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Applications for SAM EOI are accepted from artists, curators, creative practitioners and community groups who currently live in the areas of the Goulburn Valley and the Hume Region.
- Applications are accepted for exhibitions containing artworks in any medium including, for example, painting, sculpture, moving image, photography, drawing or installation.
- Artwork submitted must have been made in the last 2 years.
- The size of submitted artworks must not exceed: 240 cm (h) x 200 cm (w) for 2D artworks, this includes diptych, triptych and works in a series; 240 cm (h) x 200 cm (w) x 320 cm (d) for 3D artworks.
- The applicant warrants that submitted artworks are original work and does not infringe copyright, moral rights or other rights of and third party.
Please complete the form below, which involves:
- Applicant’s contact details; or contact details for one representative of a community group
- Short artist/curator bio or about statement for community group (maximum 300 words) Artist and/or curator CV; no more than 2 pages (uploaded as PDF, no larger than 1MB); if more than one artist in exhibition proposal, please provide a CV for each artist
- Exhibition proposal: this should include title, names of artist/s, brief exhibition summary (maximum 500 words)
- Selection of preferred exhibition dates (check box)
- Exhibition supporting material (five-page PDF): this should include images of artworks made in the last 2 years. Images should be labelled with a caption detailing artwork title, year, medium and dimensions (uploaded as PDF, no larger than 5MB) For moving image, performance or sound artworks, a ‘still’ must be included of the work in the portfolio and a link provided in caption to viewable files on Vimeo or YouTube
- Website, blog or online portfolio web links if available (provide up to 3 URLs and access passwords where relevant)
- Demonstration / proof of location connection (maximum 100 words)
Submitting an application does not guarantee your exhibition proposal will be accepted. A Selection Panel will assess all SAM EOI applications according to the following criteria:
- The exhibition is suitable for the physical exhibition space
- The artist/s, curator/s or community group can demonstrate a prior exhibition record, and/or can demonstrate prior commitment to presenting their creative practice publicly
- The artistic merit of the artworks and concept for the exhibition are original, clear, and well-thought out
- The proposed exhibition can demonstrate a strong connection with the Goulburn Valley and Hume Region
Once the application period has closed SAM will convene the SAM SQUARED Selection Panel to review and assess all SAM EOI applications received. This Selection Panel is made up of members of the SAM Exhibitions and Engagement teams, along with external local artistic and community group representatives.
OFFER OF EXHIBITION AND ACCEPTANCE
Following the selection process, the Selection Panel will select the exhibition for the 2022 SAM EOI exhibition dates. Applicant/s selected for the 2022 SAM EOI exhibition will be notified in March 2022. Acceptance of the offer to exhibit at SAM must be made in writing and with the payment of the exhibiting fee of $500, within two weeks of the dated offer. After this time, SAM will approach another applicant to exhibit or make alternative arrangements. The exhibiting fee covers the professional installation of the proposed exhibition, consultation with SAM Exhibitions team towards the realisation of the proposed exhibition, vinyl signage and digital promotion of the exhibition by SAM Marketing team.