A highlight of the SAM artistic program, SAM Spotlight is a solo exhibition showcasing the work of an emerging artist living and working in the Goulburn Valley region. The awarded artist works closely with SAM’s curatorial team to develop their exhibition within a professional and supportive environment.
There will be one SAM SPOTLIGHT exhibition held annually.
The exhibition dates for 2022 SAM SPOTLIGHT are:
24 October – 20 November 2022
Open callout dates:
14 December 2021 Applications open
25 February 2022 Applications close
March 2022 Selection panel meets
March 2022 Offer of exhibition made
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Applications for SAM SPOTLIGHT are accepted from emerging artists who currently live in the areas of the Goulburn Valley and the Hume Region, as outlined on page 2.
- SAM considers emerging artists to meet the following criteria:
- Practitioners who have undertaken specialised training in an artistic field, but not necessarily from a tertiary institution
- Practitioners who are within their first five years of pursuing a career as a professional artist
- Artists can be independent or represented by a commercial gallery. Artists can have exhibited with a commercial gallery but have not had a solo exhibition at a regional or state public gallery in Victoria
- The selection panel can consult with SAM’s artistic advisory board if they question whether an applicant qualifies as an emerging artist.
- Applications are accepted from artists working in any medium including, for example, painting, sculpture, moving image, photography, drawing or installation.
- Artworks submitted in the artist portfolio section of the application must have been made in the last 2 years.
- Artists who have exhibited at SAM in a solo or group exhibition (of 3 or less artists) within the past two calendar years are not eligible to apply.
- The applicant warrants the submitted artwork is their original work and does not infringe copyright, moral rights or other rights of any third party.
Please complete the online application form below.
- Applicant’s contact details
- Artwork details: title, year completed, medium, dimensions (cm)
- Artwork image upload: up to three images in .jpg format (max 1MB each). One image must show the artwork in its entirety
- A short statement on the submitted artwork (max 150 words) on how it relates to the theme of ‘ New Horizons’.
- Pay the entrance fee of $40, which includes 1 year of Friend of SAM Membership. If you are already an active Friend of SAM, the cost of entry is $10 for an artwork handling fee. Your Friend of SAM Membership will become active upon the closure of the application period. You will receive an email confirmation of your new Friend of SAM Membership.
Please complete the online form below, which involves:
- Applicant’s contact details
- Short artist bio (maximum 300 words)
- Artist CV; no more than 2 pages (uploaded as PDF, no larger than 1MB)
- Artist portfolio as a five-page PDF: this should include images of artworks made in the last 2 years. Images should be labelled with a caption detailing artwork title, year, medium and dimensions. (uploaded as PDF, no larger than 5MB). For moving image, performance or sound artworks a ‘still’ must be included of the work in the portfolio and a link provided in caption to viewable files on Vimeo or YouTube
- Concept proposal for the exhibition (maximum 500 words)
- Website, blog or online portfolio web links if available (provide up to 3 URLs and access passwords where relevant)
- Demonstration / proof of location connection (maximum 100 words)
- Pay the application fee of $40. The application fee is non-refundable and contributes to the administration and handling of SAM Spotlight. The application fee includes a 1 year Friend of SAM Membership which will become active upon closure of the application period. You will be emailed details of your new Friend of SAM Membership.
A Selection Panel will assess all SAM Spotlight applications according to the following criteria:
- The exhibition is suitable for the physical exhibition space
- The artist can demonstrate a prior exhibition record, and/or can demonstrate prior commitment to a professional career with their creative practice
- The artistic merit of the artworks and concept for the exhibition are original clear, and well-thought out
- The opportunity of the exhibition will benefit the artist’s professional development
- The artist and/or the proposed exhibition can demonstrate a strong connection with the Goulburn Valley and Hume Region
Once the application period has closed, SAM will convene the SAM SQUARED Selection Panel to review and assess all SAM Spotlight applications received. This Selection Panel is made up of members of the SAM Exhibitions and Engagement teams, along with external local artistic and community group representatives.
OFFER OF EXHIBITION AND ACCEPTANCE
Following the selection process, the Selection Panel will select one artist for the 2022 SAM Spotlight exhibition. The successful artist will be notified in March 2022.
The artist will receive an artist fee for the exhibition.
Entrance Fee Portal